Sunday, May 18, 2008

Bound for Nova Scotia




Hello again, I mentioned a couple of entries ago that we are bound for Nova Scotia. The big move is only about six weeks away. I am in some sort of stupified denial stage, similar in feeling to being nine months pregnant. I hear your question. Wow, why? Because of a job? No. Do you have family there? No. I guess the short answer is we are having an adventure. The long answer is:
(a) I grew up in Canada, so we can. Socialized health care is a really great thing for self employed people.
(b) My husband grew up on the ocean in Marblehead, MA and I lived there for twelve years. We really miss the ocean.
(c) I can't take not living in a town anymore. We are in the country, in the Hudson Valley, NY, which is one of the most beautiful places on earth, but we have to drive everywhere. The roads are fast and sidewalks are non existent. I find myself driving to towns 20 miles away a little too often. I have definitely stamped my carbon footprint.
(d) I really want my son, Dusty, to be a hoser, play hockey and say, Eh!
I picked Lunenburg, NS, from a picture on the internet. I'm not kidding. I just saw this photo and said, "Tony, we need to move here. " He several times suggested that we might be open to other nearby locations, but I shut him down in my typical tunnel vision fashion. The town looks quite a bit like Marblehead. We went there last year and it took our breath away. You can walk everywhere, There are tons of cute shops and cafes and a whole lot of amazing ships in the harbour. Oh yes, this reminds me of my last reason for moving. (e) I have been in the states for twenty years and have taught myself to write- theater, harbor, center, favorite in the american spelling and frankly I'm sick of it. THEATRE, HARBOUR, FAVOURITE, CENTRE. Oh, that felt good.
A little of hat life, Last week was amazing. The orders were just rolling in from etsy. Well, at least rolling in for me. It was so exciting. Felt like I won the lottery. This week is the depressing come down. Feels like pulling teeth to get anyone to look at my sites. Oh, well, perseverance. I'm posting a photo of my new hat design for the fall. Her name is Brooke. I think it's pretty darned cute, but of course I'm a little biased. Until next time, Happy Hatting. Anna

3 comments:

AllChic said...

I just looked up Lunenberg, NS on Google and you're right - what a beautiful town. You're so lucky to be able to pick up and move with your family like this. Best of luck! (Looking forward to seeing more of your great hats!!)

ANGLESEY ALLSORTS said...

Oh ! How exciting - an Adventure. You are so brave, you will have a fantastic time! And so lucky/clever to have work you can pick up and move with you. Best of luck, keep us updated.
x Vicky x

Vintage-at-Heart Designs said...

How exciting!!!