Friday, April 11, 2008

a brief history of a hat maker


Hello again, For those of you that tuned in to my last entry , I would like to continue with the brief history of a hat maker, but first I need to take care of the business of linking my web sites to this blog, so here goes.... www.hatjunkie.com and www.annashoub.etsy.com. Now, where were we?
So, with pink felt hat on head I began my new life and identity as a hat lady. (really girl at that point) When you get so much positive feed back from wearing one hat it doesn't take long to buy a second and then a third and so on, and before you know it you are a certified hat junkie. I began by buying myself a hat as a gift to myself on birthdays. One for my birthday, one for each of my brothers' birthdays and for my cat's birthday, but then I added consolation purchases. One for each of the various rejections in my life. I scored quite a lot of hats from failing my driver's testS. I really can drive now, but that's a whole other story.
And then one fateful Saturday afternoon, while visiting my family in Toronto, I happened by a sign that read Hat Shop with an arrow leading me to a quiet street off the beat and path where a tiny little hat shop lived. I entered. I could not believe my eyes. Everywhere at every level was a beautiful hat, one more beautiful than the next. And at the back of the shop was one woman with two sewing machines, one of which was for her absent assistant. It donned on me then that this lady was actually making the hats herself. With all the hats I owned by this time, I had never really contemplated the fact that someone, some individual actually made those hats. It didn't seem possible, but there she was. I knew in that instant that I was going to have to learn to make hats. The milliner was so helpful. Seeing my flabbergasted, speechless state, she kindly offered that first I would need to learn to sew and then I might want to take a millinery workshop. I thanked her over and over and went home to Massachusetts with a new sense of purpose in my life. If you haven't heard enough of this saga, then tune in next time to hear of my quest to learn to use a sewing machine. Happy Hatting, Anna.

No comments: